Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Days of flood: The stranded group - June 7 & 8, 2008

Jamil –
Yesterday, the heavy rain flooded all the highways going to the Indianapolis airport. Half of the group had gotten to the airport, but the other half were not able to get past the flooded highways. It was an unfortunate experience because I thought that half the group weren’t going to Guatemala, including the to trip leaders. Fortunately, it was worked out so that the rest of the group could catch a flight the next day leaving from Louisville. The rest of the group is in Guatemala, and hopefully we’ll join them soon.

Arielle –
Yesterday, all the rain from the previous days became one big flash flood! Seeing all the dirty mud, churning and spinning while we were trying to find a possible route to get to the airport, I felt that all the hard work we had done was practically for nothing. And then I heard that while half the group was driving around Indiana, the other half had already gotten on the plane to Dallas. Thankfully after many hours of deliberation with American Airlines at a Columbus, IN, Subway restaurant, we came to a compromise: We were going to drive to Louisville the next day and take the flight to Dallas from there. So here I am, happily writing on a laptop about to go into security (at the Louisville airport)!

June 8th and 9th, 2008
Yesterday (June 7, 2008) I got up in the morning thinking that I was going to go get on a plane and fly with everyone else to Guatemala. I was about to get in the van and start driving when we found out that highway 37 was closed. Ok no big deal there are soooooo many ways to get to Indy every things going to be fine. Well that didn’t really work, right when we started to try a new road it would get closed and we would have to start all over again. We went from plan A to plan B to plan W, until finally we ran out of options and there were no more plans to get to Indy. We all ended up meeting at a Subway in Columbus. Dena spent an hour and a half on the phone with the airlines trying to rearrange our tickets so we could leave out of Louisville. The next morning or today we met at Cracker Barrel at 8:30 to make our trip down to Louisville in time to catch our flight at 2:00. We spent the time waiting in the airport playing Mauwii. In Dallas we learned how to play Sara’s rules Uno (aka. Sruno). Now I’m sitting in our hotel it’s about 10:20 here and we are having a BLAST! Can’t wait to share our stories with you. Adios Amigos!

No comments: